Sunday, 14 February 2016

How to avoid a C-Section? | 38 Weeks with Baby #2

**All photos in this post are shot by my sister Jo (facebook page) when Roma was 1Y4M17D old.**

At my 37 week check-up, my doctor advised a cesarean, which I do not desire.  By asking the titled question I do not have an answer, nor am I really seeking an answer.  I trust my doctor's profession, but I still want to share (and rant) a bit.  Highly probably, when Monkey arrives, by C-Section or not, I'll not mind much by then.

Oh, and this might be my last pregnancy update.  Learn more about it after the jump.

(my current facebook profile pic ^3^ )

Basically, in my 32w update I mentioned that Monkey hasn't turned his head downwards yet, so I did the 'exercise' advised by my doctor.  And at our 34w check-up, she gladly told me Monkey has turned his head down and it should be fine.  I also kept my weight-gain under control so hopefully he won't be too big for me to deliver.

However, at our scheduled 36w meeting, she worriedly found out Monkey has returned to breech position.  The rest is fine so she just advised me to go back to my previous 'exercise', wait for it to roll back downwards, and re-schedule the 38w check-up to 37w.

Last week when we went to the check-up, doctor finds Monkey still bottom down, and his butt kind of stuck in my pelvis.  Given his size ~3kg and the condition of me (slight contraction as it's near the end of the 3rd trimester), she predicted it will just get harder for him to turn.  Thankfully the rest of the parameters are fine so she still let me try the exercise and see if there's any change to its position.  Unless my water breaks or any abnormality pops up this week, she doesn't advise me to attempt natural delivery.  By the next check-up, which is this Friday, if things don't change, she will book me a cesarean, and out she takes the Monkey.

With Roma, I had a natural labour.  From the water-breaking till he's finally delivered, it took roughly 14 hours.  (Read the labour story in depth here.)  It was kind of painful but bearable (?) even though I didn't opt for an epidural (it could be too brave a mistake to make but I made that decision anyway).  I recovered decently swiftly and well, so I hope to deliver Monkey in a similar way too.

Now that I've been thinking about it over and over again.  Perhaps this is how God wants me to experience child-birth.  If I had ended up with a C-Section with Roma, then it would be more unlikely for me to go natural with the second baby.  Perhaps by experiencing child-birth both ways I will learn more as a mother and grow more as a person?  Things do not always go as we planned or wished, but what's best for us, isn't it?

Anyway, I'm still going to do the 'exercise' for the following days to see if Monkey wants to turn head down.

baby brother?  is it edible?
How far along?  37 week 5 days.

Total weight gain/measurements:  At my 36w check-up I was 72 kg.  At 37w 3d I was 71.9 kg.

Maternity clothes:  Nothing new or interesting.  I'm wearing the largest maternity under-garments in my wardrobe and I can't wait to fall back to the normal XL ones.

Stretch marks:  A few visible new ones above my belly button and near my pelvis on the sides, but none of these bothers me.

Sleep:  Not that well, but not bad.  I've been sleeping with my legs and pelvis slightly tilted up so that hopefully there will be some gravity acting on baby, helping him to move around.  I don't feel much differences after two nights, though.

Best moment:  Roma cuddling with me more, even though I'm spending less one-on-one time with him day by day.  The day we came back from hospital, I crashed on the couch and wept for a good few minutes, the whole time he was watching with his lovely little eyes and behaved like a good boy.  I think he senses mummy's getting different body-wise and emotionally, so he's acting like a true big brother.

give me all the chocolate - now - please

Miss anything?  Feeling like myself, and feeling carefree like I was before delivering Roma.

Movement:  Strong but less frequent and less vigorous.  I can feel that Monkey is very crowded in there.

Food cravings:  Plenty of chocolate.  Egg rolls.

Anything making you queasy or sick?  Nothing apart from not wanting a cesarean.

Gender:  Boy.

Labour signs:  Nil.

Symptoms:  No-ish.  I don't feel much pain or discomfort physically in these past 2-3 weeks as the psychological uneasiness has over-taken me.

Belly button in or out?  Out.

Wedding rings on or off?  Off.

Happy or moody most of the time:  Moody.

Looking forward to:  The end of this pregnancy.  I know I will feel very much better once this little Monkey arrives and carried in my arms.

why doesn't baby brother turn his head down?
My next update on my boy(s) should be in March.  If you want to see more of Roma or about this last leg of my pregnancy, make sure to follow me on Instagram and SnapChat.  I'm jacqlibra on both.

Subscribe by emailTwitter FacebookGoogle+ Instagram

Beautiful wishes,

Lazy silly Jacq :")


  1. So sorry to hear about your dilemma. Although I've never had a breech baby, I have had 2 c-sections already (and the third coming in the end of July!). My first was an emergency c-section and the second a scheduled. I know it can be nerve wracking, but no need to be nervous. Doctor's do know what they are doing whether we like their decision or not lol. But just telling you from my experience it's better to have a scheduled cesarean than an emergency one. Is it just that you don't want cesareans from here on out, or you don't want to be robbed of your natural labor experience? Good luck whatever happens, I wish for the best for you and your new little addition . Can't wait to see pictures once little monkey arrives! :)

    1. thanks Kirstie. in the end i did have my scheduled c section. and it was way better than i had imagined. thanks for the sweet comments. :)



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...